Glass Hand Dissolving: Tracy Smothers & Little Guido



vs Chris Chetti & Louie Spicolii (ECW 3/29/1997)

This is a house show match, which means we start with a lot of schtick, and we have a lot of schtick up until the ending stretch of this match. I can get behind the FBI act and especially Tommy Rich. That's never going to make a match more enjoyable for me, but I get it; I understand why it happens. The closing stretch ends up being pretty solid, and Chetti and Spicolli get the win. 

vs Lance Storm & Chris Candido (ECW 3/6/1998)

This is pretty solid, and is devoid of any of the typical FBI antics, which is nice. Tracy Smothers carries the bulk of this, and really goes out of his way to make Candido especially look good. Guido doesn't factor in much, but he does what he's asked. Not a great match, but solid, and certainly a good match to have in your resume. 

vs Nova & Blue Meanie (ECW 5/3/1998)

There's a lot of schtick in this, maybe even more than I'd expect. I mean, we are talking mid-teens indie wrestlers doing a comedy match levels of it. That's never going to be my thing, but I will say that when Tracy Smothers does it, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't have a soft spot for it. So, is this good? No. It is bad. Did I enjoy it? A tiny, tiny, tiny bit. 

vs To Infinity and Beyond (AIW 5/23/2015)

AIW Tracy Smothers is really something that has to be seen to be believed. At some point, you're going to get an extended promo that becomes completely unhinged, you're going to get a dance-off, and he's going to threaten homicide.  We get some of that here, but it happens in the middle of the match and isn't as off the wall as it otherwise may be. The other side of AIW Tracy Smothers is, I think he likes being there and wants to do well by the promotion, so he wants to go out and make sure the wrestlers who are going to be there every month get over and stay over. So, he goes out of his way to make sure there's some semblance of a match, and it isn't all about him. Guido is a bit more of a workhorse, but he's limited by his age and his injuries. So, with all that said, it isn't ever going to be a great match, or really a good one, but I don't think that this is anything other than two older veterans doing what they can to have an entertaining match given their limitations, and put over some younger guys. They do that, and I suppose that is a positive. 

vs 216 Mafia vs OI4K (ARW 8/2/2015)

We've got another Ohio Indie, this time in Akron. 216 Mafia and OI4K are having a match, when Tracy and Guido walk out and want to do a dance off. Neither team is interested, but Tracy and Guido dance anyway, and then this turns into a 3 way dance. Tracy and Guido are minimally involved; Guido bumps a little bit, Tracy gets in the ring sparingly. I think that you can see in this, what makes Tracy such a beloved guy amongst a certain set of wrestlers, because in the AIW match he really wants to make Cheech and Colin look good. In contrast, in this match, where he doesn't have the same motivation, he still tries hard, but he's just there to have a match. 

Verdict

This is a team that has a role, and it varies quite a bit based on the situation. They always deliver in that role. How much they deliver also varies, but they go out there and do the job they were tasked with. That doesn't make them a great team, but it does make them good at their job. 



Comments